THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Miley Cyrus: "Making [The Last Song] was emotional because it is story of my mother"

Miley Cyrus and her mother Tish had tears in their eyes when they watched the teenage superstar's new movie for the first time.

That's because the emotionally-driven story of The Last Song is very close to the heart of the American showbiz family.

"It was not based on her, but it is kind of the story of my mother," Miley said.

"My mother lost her dad when she was 18, the same age as my character, Ronnie, in the movie. It was inspiring for me to see how my mother was when we were shooting the film."

The film, which sees a teenager coping with tragedy, was very much a family affair because Tish Cyrus was one of the producers.

So when Miley had to weep on camera, it helped to know her mum had experienced these feelings for real.

"Every time she was emotional, I would think of her," said Miley.

"It was hard for her, but it was also exciting that this story was being told."

Inevitably, there were floods of tears when the family watched the movie for the first time.

Miley said: "I think everybody walked away from the theatre crying. But my mother was crying not because she was sad, but because she was proud of the film we had made. She loved it."

The film has been released just as Miley is getting ready to film the final series of her hit show Hannah Montana.

She said: "It has been nice to have a break from the show and play something a little bit more dramatic," she said, adding that she faces the final stages of her time as Hannah Montana with mixed emotions.

"A part of that makes me sad because the show has been like a security blanket," said the young star. "But another part of me is happy to move on to a new chapter of my life.

"Just because I want to move on from the show doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it has given to me."

Miley is still just 17, but she talks with a confidence beyond her years - something that comes from a lifetime in showbiz.

Her dad is country star Billy Ray Cyrus, who had a global hit with Achy Breaky Heart in 1992.

When she was a tot Miley would appear on stage with her dad and by the time she was 11, she became the darling of Disney by starring in the studio's TV show Hannah Montana, which cast her as a schoolgirl who became a pop teen idol.

Life imitated art and Miley's first album from the series sold millions. She embarked on a huge tour, starred in Hannah Montana: The Movie and wrote Miles To Go, her biography.

The title suggests that Miley is here for the long run and indeed the girl from Tennessee has big plans for the future.

Her army of fans will be excited by the fact that in the new film, she has to kiss leading-man, 20-year-old Aussie hunk, Liam Hemsworth.

However, Miley insists that kissing on camera is no big deal.

"It's what you do for a job," she said. "If you read a script and you are going to get awkward about it, then you shouldn't take the role."

It probably helps that Miley and Liam fell in love for real during the making of The Last Song.

She said: "He is a foot taller than me, so it's interesting doing a scene with someone that much taller because you are on an apple box.

"But I work with my dad who is a lot taller than me, so I am used to standing on something when I do a scene."

Apart from having a romance with Liam, Miley also gets to lark about with her boyfriend. There's even a sequence, after his truck gets stuck in boggy ground, where the youngsters have a mud fight.

"There aren't that many times when you come to work and get to joke around like that," she said.

Another favourite moment for Miley was when she and Liam had do an underwater scene in the film.

She said: "I loved being able to swim with all the fish. It's great getting to film something that you thought that you'd never get to do in your whole life."

Another challenge for Miley in the film was to play the piano at a decent level because her character is a child prodigy.

However, it turned out to be much more easier than anyone could have imagined.

"Maybe it was easier because I already play guitar," she said. "I learned to play like a classically-trained musician - the way to sit and how to look when you are at the piano.

"It's a lot more about discipline than just casual playing.

"The learning experiences are the part of my job I really love.

"So many people dream of learning something like that and I had the experience along with making a movie."

Miley had a terrific rapport with her screen father, Greg Kinnear, the star of hits such as Little Miss Sunshine and As Good As It Gets.

Miley said: "It was really cool to work with him. Greg is a lot like my dad."

"He's very mellow and funny and everyone seems to fall in love with him. He was like a father figure to me while we were filming.

"We would sit on the porch and talk. We had a great relationship which I think comes across on screen."

Towards the end of the year, Miley will have her 18th birthday, but it appears that there is so much going on in her life that she hasn't given much thought to celebrations.

"I don't have any big plans yet," she said. "I'm sure I will have a party or something."

And she's not giving much away about what present she would like to receive, although she revealed she got the perfect gift two years ago to celebrate her 16th birthday.

"I got a puppy from my mother," she said. "It was something I had really, really wanted, so I was excited about that.

It was probably one of the best gifts I ever received. But I don't know what gifts I want this year - I want my friends to be creative."

Miley lives a glamorous and exciting life, but she accepts there is a down side to growing up in the full glare of the showbiz spotlight.

She said: "It's hard. I sometimes feel that I have been doing the Hannah Montana show for five years and I just want one day when I can be with my friends.

"But it's worth all that to do what I do and I love my job."

However, it took the Icelandic volcanic ash horror to stop Miley in her tracks.

A European tour was planned to promote The Last Song, but that, along with a glitzy London premiere, was scrapped when all international flights were grounded.

Miley said: "The weird thing is that it has been a blessing in disguise. It gave me the time off that I needed.

"My manager joked that it was really funny that the only thing that could stop me was a volcano, just because there was nothing I could do about it.

"So I was able to hang out with Liam and have a really good time."

0 comments: